Monday, April 9, 2012

Hangin' in there....

Well, I'm befuddled... that little guy is still, well, ALIVE!  I was sure he wouldn't make the night.  But with lots of TLC and prayers, he's still here.  But he's been through a lot... my goodness.  He is one TOUGH little sucker.  The next morning after he was born... and miraculously still alive... I put the nest box in Haylie's cage hoping she would be a good momma and go in and nurse her little kit.  Well, she went in, and proceeded to tear the nest apart.  :(  I don't know WHY on earth she has lost her brains like this.... she is my best mom out there, so this is WEIRD.  Anyhow, I took her out of there and tried force feeding.  I held her tummy-up on my lap and put baby on her belly to feed.  I was trying to hold her really carefully so she wouldn't kick him, but somehow.... she scratched him and he started bleeding alllllll over.  :(  It was terrible.  Anyhow, I got the bleeding stopped, fixed his nest, snuggled him up in it and figured that end had come.  But long story short, a long day later, here is still today.  I hold Haylie upside down whenever he's feeding because she is not being herself.  This morning he actually got a good meal and his little belly filled all up.  It was so sweet... I think I'm getting attached.  =)  I'm so proud of the little guy.  What a trooper.


I HAD TO RE-MAKE A NEST FOR HIM, HAYLIE PRETTY MUCH DESTROYED THE OTHER ONE.  SO HE'S CUDDLED UP IN .... COTTON BALLS!  =)  HE'S IN A HEATED NEST BOX, SO HE'S STAYING REALLY WARM AND SNUG IN THERE.

I KNOW, I KNOW... TERRIBLE PICTURE, BUT IT'S THE BEST I GOT OF HIM SNUGGLED UP IN THE COTTON BEFORE THE CAMERA BATTERY DIED.  (THAT ALWAYS HAPPENS AT THE MOST INCONVENIENT TIMES!)


5 comments:

Bethany said...

I'm so glad he's still alive! Thanks for keeping us updated, Emily!

Asinaway's Rabbitry said...

Aww what a strong little one! Hang in there buddy... Love the cotton ball idea.

Tamie said...

I'm pulling for him too! I hope he keeps getting lots of good feedings and sleep to grow.

House of Hotots said...

Oh my goodness, what an ordeal for you to go thru. Hoping for the best in the little trooper.

Emily said...

Awww, thanks so much for the encouragment, everyone. He's still doing OK - got a good feeding last night, but not so much this morning, so we'll see what happens. He's sure a tough little thing, though! Thanks again, I'll keep you postd. :)