Monday, December 26, 2011

Lovin' on the Babies ;-)

Bella's three kits are to that age now where I am trying to handle them a lot.  It has been a little hard having babies in the winter because I don't take them out of the nest box until they are a week old, and then for just a second so they won't get cold.  So I'm not really handling them that much until they are 2 or 3 weeks old.  Whereas in the summer I am holding and handling them all the time from Day 1 on!  :)  But now that Bella's babies are furry, hefty lil' things I am working on handling them a LOT!  (Which of course is also a lot of fun.)  I put a number (1, 2, and 3) in each of their ears so I can tell them apart.  "Number 1" :) is probably the most tame right now as I think he's the cutest so he probably gets a little extra attention.... ;)  (I know, I shouldn't have favorites)  This morning I was hand feeding them and petting them, they are so adorable.  I will take some pictures to post, it's way too cute.  :)  It is amazing how much just holding them every day affects a rabbit.  That one thing really determines whether or not they will be a cuddly bunny.
I usually tip over the nest box for my babies at 2 1/2 weeks.  I did that with them last week, but they poor things just weren't ready.  They just sat in the box shivering.  So that didn't last very long!  I tipped it back up and re-made their nest, and had happy buns again.  :)  But since they should start eating and drinking now, I put a food and water crock in there for them.  So now they are eating and drinking.  And this morning when I was doing chores one of them was looking very interested in jumping out.  So far they hadn't tried to get out at all!  Finally he climbed up and was about half way over, balancing back and forth on his belly, but he changed his mind and tumbled back in... :)  It was really cute.  But I'll have to keep an eye on them, now that they are getting to that stage.  I probably will try tipping the box over again pretty soon.  Anyways....Haylie's babies look more gorgeous every day!  I'm so happy with Haylie.  (Have I said that before???)  I took some pictures of them last night but they were in a very wiggly mood, so I'll have to try again later.  :) 

No comments: